Solar energy has become a household name today and is one of the most frequently searched topics on the internet due to the fact that people are adapting to sustainable living. It comes by many names like PhotoVoltaic, or PV, and even solar power systems. The energy generated by the solar panels powers gadgets at the office and home, transport like cars, scooters, and bikes; running machines in industries; farming, etc.
You will be surprised to know that the use of sun energies is growing by leaps and bounds every year. India shall have a solar potential of about 748 GW even if we use 3% of the wasteland area for Solar PV modules. It’s a proud fact for India that we rank 5th globally in the use of solar energy. Indians use solar energy for street lighting, solar pumps, home lighting, solar lanterns, power plants, etc.
What is a solar panel system?
A solar panel system is a complete set of equipments and materials ranging from solar panels themselves to solar inverters, the mounting structures, cables, and other electrical components needed to tap solar energy into your commercial and residential buildings. The system has everything one would need and is installed accordingly. The panels are usually fixed on the rooftop and absorb solar energy to run your office, shop, or house. They absorb the energy from the sun's rays and convert them into usable energy, which can run your gadgets.
Top brands in this field like Waaree Solar, LG, Jinko Solar, SunPower, and SolarReviews have solar panel systems that are the most effective, efficient, cost-saving, and consumer-friendly. These panels are made up of silicon solar cells wired together to make solar modules that give the energy to run gadgets. Nowadays, most of the panels are either monocrystalline or bifacial. Some consumers also prefer polycrystalline panels, which are the most cost-effective.
What are the types of solar power systems?
These systems are made based on the applications and usage of the consumer and are generally of three types:
- Grid-tied systems: A grid-connected solar photovoltaic system, also known as an on grid solar system, is a solar system that generates energy and is linked to the utility grid. It is made up of solar panels that are linked to one or more inverters. The power generated by the solar panels is a Direct Current (DC) that must be converted to Alternating Current (AC) using inverters. There are no batteries involved, and all surplus energy is sent back into the grid after utilisation. Because there are no batteries, this system is less expensive and more convenient than an off-grid solution. Small residential and commercial rooftop systems and large utility-scale solar power stations are examples of on-grid systems. A grid-connected solar power system will minimise the electricity cost since extra electricity produced may be sold to the local electricity company
- Off-grid systems: The term "off-grid" refers to a solar panel system that operates independently and is not connected to any utility's power system. This system stores generated solar energy in batteries. Although off-grid systems are self-sustaining, they are more expensive since the customer must purchase a battery pack, solar panels, grid box, inverter, charge controller, mounting structure, and system balancing. During the day, the panels create and store energy, which they then use at night.The device is appropriate for locations that experience regular power outages. Off-grid solar systems can provide reliable and sustainable power generation in rural and isolated places.
- Hybrid systems: Hybrid solar systems generate power in the same manner as traditional grid-tied solar systems do, but they employ hybrid inverters and batteries to store energy for later use. Because of this capacity to store energy, most hybrid systems may also function as a backup power source during a blackout, analogous to a UPS system.
The On-Grid/Grid-tied system is the most popular one, as it gives you the advantage of having usable energy at all times and doesn’t require local storage equipment.
How much will a solar power system cost?
Before you decide to get a solar power system installed, work out the installation costs and its long-term maintenance. This calculation will also include the actual savings of using solar energy versus the usual electricity bills. The cost of a system depends upon the area where you live, the size you require, the storage capacity you want, the kind of solar panel you opt for, and the vendor you select.
The average cost of a 1 kW grid-connected solar panel in India is between INR 50 and 75 thousand, and non-grid is approximately 1 lakh. This cost increases for off-grid systems as they need storage batteries.
What is the best solar power system for the home?
Sometimes it is difficult to decide what solar system you should buy for your house. Home gadgets need to run efficiently and smoothly for optimum energy consumption. The grid-tied solar panel system helps save money and gives you renewable energy; it also takes care of the net meters.
If you live in areas that have frequent power outages and have access to the grid, then it is better to use the hybrid system. You can connect to the grid and have the backup of solar batteries too. You will have to spend some more money on the batteries, but it is worth the cost as these batteries will provide you with energy even when the grid is down.
If you live in areas like rural farms or somewhere far away from the city, you may not have access to the grid. In such cases, you can use an off-grid solar system for your home. These systems will give you limited energy, so you need to consume it wisely.
What are the main components of a solar panel system?
A comprehensive and effective system will have not only the solar panels, as the name suggests, but also:
- Solar inverter
- Solar racking
- Net meter
- Solar performance monitoring
- Solar battery storage
- Charge controller
However, you will need the solar batteries and charge controllers only if you plan to buy a hybrid or off-grid system.
Can you install a solar power system yourself?
As an individual consumer of solar energy, you would be very eager to install the system yourself. You can opt for DIY kits for some solar panel systems to save on installation costs. The disadvantages are that this is very time-consuming and maybe even dangerous if something goes wrong. Other issues could be getting local licenses and permission to install it, obtaining warranties and inspections, etc. But, it is advisable to connect with the expert technicians trained to handle and install the solar system for your home.
Who should I use to install my solar system for home?
There are many criteria for selecting the vendor to install the solar system for your commercial or residential requirements. Before selecting a vendor for the installation of solar panels, get answers to the following questions:
- Does it have an active license to install it in your area?
- Does it fit within your budget?
- What’s the feedback from previous clients?
- Is the equipment efficient and of high quality?
- Are the services prompt?
Explore these services too:
- Rooftop solutions
- Integrated solar solutions
- Maintenance and servicing
- After-sales support
A reputed vendor will build your trust in customer service. He/she will focus on building a long-term relationship with customers by giving on-time services and long-lasting products.
If you want to save some energy and cut down on your energy bills, connect with top companies dealing with the manufacturing and servicing of solar energy.
Waaree Energies Ltd., the flagship company of the Waaree Group, provides high-quality, cost-effective, and sustainable energy solutions to households and industries. Connect with us if you wish to avail of our services. You can also buy your expected solar products at Waaree Store seamlessly.